Welcome to the participant’s page for:
Being A Leader And The Effective Exercise Of Leadership, Edmonton Alberta Canada, September 2018
7 Actions to Prepare You For Your Course
1. Join the Pre-Classroom Webinars
|August 15th, 2018||Making the Pre-course Reading Real in Your Life and Leadership||12:00 pm – 1:00 pm MST|
|August 22nd, 2018||All About the Leadership Project Q&A||12:00 pm – 1:00 pm MST|
|August 29th, 2018||Making the Pre-course Reading Real in Your Life and Leadership||12:00 pm – 1:00 pm MST|
|September 6th, 2018||Last call for Pre-reading & Leadership Project questions||12:00 pm – 1:00 pm MST|
2. Register for Your Coaching Call Webinars
As part of your assignments, you are required to be on one of two coaching webinars between session 2 & 3 and one of two coaching webinars between sessions 4 & 5.
You are welcome to be on all of the webinars.
Click the link(s) of the webinar you wish to register for.
|Date||Webinar Title/Registration Link||Time|
|September 26th, 2018||Coaching Webinar #1 – Between Session 2 & 3||12:00 PM PT|
|October 2nd, 2018||Coaching Webinar #2 – Between Session 2 & 3||12:00 PM PT|
|October 24th, 2018||Coaching Webinar #1 – Between Session 4 & 5||12:00 PM PT|
|October 31st, 2018||Coaching Webinar #2 – Between Session 4 & 5||12:00 PM PT|
Please note that an email will come from Zoom after you have registered and it will contain your unique URL for each webinar as well as an occasion to add to your calendar.
If you manually input the occasion into your calendar, please ensure you add your unique link.
3. Access the Pre-Course Readings & Assignments
The pre-course readings and assignments are an integral part of the course and serve as the foundation for what happens beginning on Course Day One. You are required to read this material and complete the assignments before beginning the course on Tuesday, September 11th, 2018. Download your files here.
4. Complete the brief pre-course survey
5. Sign NDA
6. Electronic Devices & Attire
You will need a device with the capability to access the internet and open PDF files to view assignments and handouts. Also, on a regular basis throughout the course, we will provide an electronic link to the slides that have been delivered. NOTE: No open devices are permitted during the course sessions. If you feel it is necessary, you may take handwritten notes.
Business Casual Attire
The requisite attire for the course room is business-casual. For leisure time resort-casual is appropriate. You may want to bring a clothing layer in case the course room is cold.
7. Review What You Agreed to When Registering
- I have read and understand the refund and transfer policy as stated.
- The tuition is non-refundable and fully transferable.
- You may transfer your registration to a new course within a year of the original purchase only once.
- I agree to thoroughly read all email communications from Unstoppable Conversations (UC) and will respond to requests regarding my participation in the course.
- I agree to read and complete the assigned Pre-Course Reading & Assignments before the course begins, September 11th, 2018. This reading will be provided a minimum of 3 months prior to the start of the course.
- I agree to complete the Post Course Evaluation within 15 days after the completion of the course.
- I agree to attend all sessions of the course.
Something Important to Know
About this Course
Given what we are promising you from your participation in the Course, plan to be free of any outside obligations during the in-person delivery days. During each break (including the lunch break and the evenings) there will be assignments for you to complete individually and/or with your group. As a result, please plan to reserve the entire day and a portion of the evening of each class day.
Between the in-person delivery days, you will also be responsible for completing individual and group assignments.
The course is challenging and will require a good deal of intellectual effort on your part inside and outside the classroom. Given all of the foregoing, it will support you in realizing the promise of the course if you think about it as a leadership intensive - something well beyond the average classroom experience.
Additional Note About the Program
While items of a personal nature are openly discussed throughout this course, we rely on you to maintain respect for each participant regardless of the material that is shared. Furthermore, consistent with professional business conduct and current laws, the instructors do not tolerate any form of harassment, including sexual harassment, in our programs.
Unstoppable Conversations’ Being A Leader, Edmonton Alberta, September 2018
Course Days 1 & 2: Tuesday, Sept 11th – Wednesday, Sept 12th, 2018
Course Days 3 & 4: Tuesday, October 16th – Wednesday, October 17th, 2018
Course Days 5 & 6: Tuesday November 13th – Wednesday November 14th
Daily Course Schedule
NOTE: End times are approximate except for start time and completion time.
To participate you must attend all sessions
Sessions 1*- 6**
8:00 am – 8:45 am: Breakfast available (optional)
9:00 am – 1:15 pm: Course Sessions (includes AM break)
1:15 pm – 2:30 pm: Lunch
2:30 pm – 6:30 pm: Course Sessions (includes PM break)
*Course Day 1 -Join us at 7:00pm for an opening cocktail reception (location TBD)
**Course Day 6 – Join us at 7:00pm for a graduation celebration cocktail reception (location TBD)
- Course Day 1 - Sept 11th
- Course Day 2 - Sept 12th
- Course Day 3 - Oct 16th
- Course Day 4 - Oct 17th
- Course Day 5 - Nov 13th
- Course Day 6 - Nov 14th
Day 1 Morning Break
Worlds Constituted by Conversational Domains
Take some time to look at a field of interest and activity in your life in which you have performed with critical know-how and competent action, or even mastery.
- What know-how and activities constitute the conversational domain for that world?
- Discover for yourself that the level of achievement you attained in that world required a conversational domain.
Look into the following two questions. You may not have a perfect answer to either or both of them.
- Say what it looks like when you have some level of mastery in a conversational domain and tell another person what it looks like.
- Struggle with this: If you show me a world, what am I going to see?
Day 1 Lunch Break
Mastery Requires Discovering For Yourself
- What does it look like to master something? If you have mastered something in your life, say what that is, and share what it looked like to be a master.
- What is it to understand (to grasp conceptually)? What is it to discover for yourself what you have already understood?
- What does it look like to engage with this course from the perspective of what you already know? What does it look like to engage with this course from the perspective of discovery and wonder?
Day 1 Afternoon Break
The Tranquilized Obviousness
The Tranquilized Obviousness Catch yourself, at least from time to time, having gone through life, encountering life with tranquilized obviousness – in the petty pace of life.
Day 1 Evening Break
Choosing the Way a Leader Chooses
A. Conduct an experiment to observe the difference in the way in which your word occurs for you when you have chosen as contrasted with when you are merely agreeing to or simply accepting (going-along-with).
- Take out the handout you received with the conditions for realizing the promise of this course and the course rules of the game.
With the first two conditions for realizing the promise of this course, give your word to honor those conditions by saying and completing out loud to your partner the sentence on the following slide:
“I choose to give my word to you, the course instructors, the rest of the participants, and myself that I will … And I give you my word that I will honor that word.”
Fill in the ellipsis (…) with what you are giving your word to – namely, each of the first two conditions for realizing the promise of the course.
- Now compare the way in which your word occurs for you (shows up for you) when you have agreed to or accepted or gone-along-with (as you probably did when you read the pre-course material) in contrast with the way in which your word occurs for you when you choose to give your word and actually give it.
- For those of you for whom the conditions you worked with occur differently because you chose them as your word, notice any difference in your experience of them (any difference in your attitude or state of mind, or your emotions or feelings, or your body sensations, or your thoughts). Share what you see with your partner.
- Get yourself clear that nothing has changed in the conditions or rules, only in the context in which you hold them. Also get yourself clear that it was nothing more than a certain use of language that left you with a more powerful relation with those conditions and rules, and by the way, also with your word.
B. Choose to complete this course or choose not to complete this course.
Choose to complete this course or choose not to complete this course. And, make that choice the way a leader chooses.
Be clear that if you choose to be in this course that means you have also chosen to give your word to honor each of the conditions for realizing the promise of this course, and chosen to give your word to honor each of the course rules of the game.
Day 2 Morning Break
The Power of Context
- What of your way of being and acting is not impacted by some context? (This might be easier by first examining the impact of context on your way of being and then examining the impact of that context on your actions.)
NOTE: For those of you for whom it has already become obvious that all of your ways of being and acting are impacted by some context, you still have to see if you can falsify what you think you already know and understand until it becomes something you have actually discovered for yourself.
- In at least two different situations in your life, discover for yourself what would happen to your way of being and acting if you created a new context for each of those situations.
- To what degree are you cognisant of the context that is shaping your way of being and acting?
- How important is context to your effectiveness and to your quality of life?
NOTE: We have given you these assignments not to increase your understanding of what we covered, but so that you begin to discover for yourself the totality of the power of context to use you
Again, until you discover for yourself the power of context to impact your way of being and acting, the context for leader and leadership you will create for yourself in the course won’t leave you being a leader and exercising leadership effectively as your natural self-expression.
Day 2 Lunch Break
Share your response to the following question with your Group:
What will I accomplish through my participation in this course?
Create for yourself something so extraordinary that it is worth your being in this conversation for seven days. In other words, what are you putting at stake? (Interact with your group members to arrive at a statement of what you could get out of being in the course until you are inspired, touched, and impacted by the possibility of getting what you created.)
Day 2 Afternoon Break
The way the situation I am dealing with occurs for me is shaped and colored by my context for that situation.
And, my way of being and acting are naturally correlated with (in-a-dance-with) the way the situation I am dealing with occurs for me.
Regarding “What You Are Dealing With” for your project, how do each of the following occur for you?
- The circumstances on which you are acting
- The circumstances in which you are acting on whatever you are acting on
- You yourself in acting on whatever you are acting on in the circumstances in which you are acting.
Day 2 Evening Break Until Session #3
- Discover for yourself that you go through life as if everything is either “here” or “there” – that life occurs for you in the spatial structure called “here” and “there”. That is, you have gone through life living as, “where I am is here and everything not me is there”.
- Over and over, practice being “out here”. Go outside and see if you can be out here with the clouds and then see if you can be out here with the trees, or even out here with other people.
- Notice who you are being when you occur for yourself as what-is-going-on-with-me-internally, as contrasted with who you are being when you occur for yourself as the one for whom life shows up (and by the way, this includes who you are being when what is going on with you internally shows up for you as merely when what is going on with you internally).
- MAYBE: Consider the possibility that who you are is not the thing for which it all shows up, rather consider who you are is nothing more and nothing less than the showing itself.
By 9 p.m. this evening, we will be making the Day 1 & 2 slides and assignments available to you.
Between now and Day 3:
- Review the entire Day 1 & 2 slides at least once
- Bring the assignments to your life and discover what engaging in them makes available to your leadership and in particular for your leadership project
- Meet as a group (in person, over the phone or video conference) at least twice. Have each group member share what they have discovered
- Be on at least one of the following coaching calls Sept 26th or Oct 2nd @ 12:00 p.m. MST
Day 3 Morning Break
Day 3 Lunch Break
Day 3 Afternoon Break
Day 3 End Day
Day 4 Morning Break
Day 4 Lunch Break
Day 4 Afternoon Break
Day 4 End of Day
Day 5 Morning Break
Day 5 Lunch Break
Day 5 Afternoon Break
End Of Day 5
Day 6 Morning Break
Life Sentence: What judgment did you make that became a life-long sentence? Look at how you operate in your life as-lived and see your Life Sentences at play: “There Is Something Wrong Here”.
Day 6 Lunch Break
Life Sentence: What judgment did you make that became a life-long sentence? Look at how you operate in your life as-lived and see your Life Sentences at play: “I Don’t Belong” and “I’m On My Own”.
Day 6 Afternoon Break
Speech Acts What kind of speaking is taking place around you? (speaking that represents, that is word matches the world, or speaking that creates, that is world matches your word?) What speech acts would make a difference for your leadership project? For example: What might you declare? What might you offer, and to whom? What promises could you make and to whom and by when? What requests could you make and of whom?
Day 6 End of Day
Make a complete list of your accomplishments Areas to Look in: Money Relationships Communication Reputation/Credibility Innovation/Risk Taking Courage Peace of Mind Self – Confidence
Handouts & Attachments:
Questions? Contact Us:
Email : [email protected]
Phone : 1 (888) 392-4975
Join the conversation on our Social Media Platforms
Be sure to complete the ’5 Actions To Prepare You For Your Course’, listed above!
The countdown is on! Your Being A Leader Course starts in: